Clan Grant of that Ilk and Freuchie, Scotland; succeeded 1811, through maternal descent, to the earldom of Seafield (see Grant-Ogilvie). Originally from normandy, the family settled in England after the Conquest of 1066, they settled in Scotland in the 13th century when they acquired land in Stratherrick through the marriage of one of the family with Mary, daughter of Sir John Bisset, and one of their sons, Sir Laurence le Grand, became sheriff of Inverness. After aiding Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Dunbar in 1296, they acquired lands Glenmoriston and Glen Urquhart which they still hold. In 1536 Sir James Grant built Castle Freuchie also called Castle Grant. They supported the National Covenant in 1638, but after 1645 supported the royal cause during the Civil War. Ludovick Grant, the eighth Laird of Freuchie, supported William and Mary against James II of England and VII of Scotland. The Clan built the new town, Grantown-on-Spey, establishing mills and factories there. In 1811, Sir Lewis Grant of Grant inherited the Ogilvie earldoms of Seafield and Findlater.
Arms: Gules, three antique crowns or.
Crest: A burning hill proper.
Motto: Craig Elachie (The rock of alarm). On Compartment: Stand fast.